Promptings

It starts with a whisper,
God’s still small voice.
But, busyness, busyness always abounds,
Till busyness, busyness drowns out the sound.

It starts with a piercing,
My conscience is seared.
But, no time for the pain. No, no time for the sorrow.
Surely, there’ll be time tomorrow, tomorrow.

It starts with a rumble,
Off some beaten shore.
“Mighty mountains, mighty mountains.
Oh, how they’re crumbled.
Yet, vainly insistent, I refuse to be humbled.

It starts with the thunder,
The sound's closer now.
Hail! Lightning are flashed down to the ground!
Oh, where can I hide? Never to be found. No, never to be found.

It starts with a SHOUT--God's holy NOW!
And, fearing the earth will swallow me whole, I'm finally still and I humbly bow low.
Truthfully? My heart and soul are weary. So, no more retreat, no more retreat.

Still, I wonder, why, oh why, Lord
did it take you
so long
to finally
speak?

AmmMaw

No comments: