Peace (1973-1976)

Lord, did you not say, “Peace I leave you.
My peace I give unto you, not as the world giveth, give I you”?
So, I sought to find peace in the graceful mountains with their snow covered peaks,
Or, perhaps, in the gentle composure of a sweet babe at sleep.

I sought to find peace by the sea, with all its vast endlessness,
Thinking, “Surely, here, my soul would cease from its restlessness!”
I sat afar off wanting to capture all my eyes could behold,
The sands seemed to beckon as upon them mighty waves did unfold!

Lord, these, Your creations have brought me much joy and pleasure,
And, the impact each has made on my life truly cannot be measured.
Still, my soul is burning with such agony and pain,
For I know that in such things, my search for peace is in vain!

“Did I not say, “Not as the world giveth, give I you”? Children, your thinking must be renewed!
“The world measures peace in moments, pleasures, places, things!
But, such is not my peace of which the angels do sing!

“My peace is found within! Reassuring, comforting, guiding!
And, with it, My child, thou shalt not be found wanting!
Though the earth and all its splendor end and cease to be,
Yea, on that day--in that very moment, thou shalt be in glory with Me!”

No comments: